By Boat, by Bike, & Brunch
Don't worry about getting on a flight to go to a remote island....enjoy our local island instead! This is one of my favorite ways to spend the day in Coronado. The past 3 years we’ve done this for my birthday, and I absolutely love the novelty of it! There’s a few ways to enjoy this trip, but I’ll give you the basics first:
1. Pack up bikes and head downtown to the embarcadero. If you don’t have a bike, you can use any of the rental services around the east village/downtown area. Deco bike has two easy rental racks right near Petco Park.
2. Get on your bikes and make your way towards the Ferry dock on 5th behind the Convention Center.
3. Pay for the ferry ($4.75/way) and hop aboard with your bikes and cruise on over to the island. (about 20 minutes total on the water)
4. Unload at the island and cruise around until you’ve worked up an appetite. Sometimes we might include a little shopping or beach time.
6. Pack up and head home the same way you came, on the water.
This has always been such a full day, and it’s a great way to meet up with friends on the island. You can do this adventure with or without kids (depending on ages, and if you have bikes that can seat the babes). All ages are allowed on the ferry, so in some cases this could be your little one’s first boat ride. My toddler loved the boat ride, and enjoyed the bike cruise even more. Make sure to check the ferry schedule depending on the season. On the weekends, the ferry behind the convention center runs every 30 mins to and from the Coronado Ferry landing, and kids under 3 are free.